Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Live from #MOSHRM11

Ok, so maybe it took a little longer to get back in the saddle than I thought!

Anyway, I'm attending the Missouri State SHRM Conference this week in Tan-Tar-A, and while the conference officially begins today, William Tincup (@williamtincup) had a great preconference yesterday on social media and HR. Here's what has scared me so far....

1. There is a serious disconnect between HR and social media. Yes, I know we read about it all the time, but it's different when it hits you in the face. In a room of 50-ish people, less than 5 of us were on Twitter, with about half on Facebook....of those, most were of the "keep my private life private" variety. Don't even get me started on 4-square! The impression I got from the room was that they were more afraid of social media than anything else. YET, they definitely weren't afraid to fire an employee due to their social media activities.

2. A whole lot of people thought it was ok to block social media sites on work computers....even in an organization that "values transparency." When confronted with the idea that Gen Y (and Gen X for that matter) would quit in such a restrictive environment, the "oh well, they're replaceable" attitude was frightening.

I think that's it for now......follow conference happenings on twitter #moshrm11.

- Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment