Thursday, August 4, 2011

#MOSHRM11 Day 2

Here's my meager attempt to relive day 2 of the MO SHRM conference at Tan-Tar-A for you....

1. It's still HOT!! Not as hot as Tuesday, but pretty damn hot none the less.
2. The vendors are diverse and giving away multiple ipads. Yes, I will blatantly plug your organization if you give me an ipad...... :)

Now to the important stuff....

1. I wasn't nearly as scared about the profession as I was on Tuesday. Maybe it's because Wednesday's topics were more mainstream, but I didn't see the push-back I saw at @WilliamTincup's social media session on Tuesday.
2. For practitioners, this conference offers multiple, solid sessions that provide good information and advice. Multiple legal updates (as expected), but also sessions on appropriate use of technology, compensation, etc. As a practitioner turned academic, I'm getting more from networking than the majority of the sessions....but that doesn't surprise me either.
3. Finally, my scare of the day.....beware of statistics! If anyone tells you that X process results in 100% improvement, higher scores, etc., don't believe it! I don't care if it's delayed gratification, introduction of technology or giving people free beer......stats can be manipulated, and the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true...." most definitely needs to be considered.

I'm still tweeting about the conference today and tomorrow using #moshrm11. Would love to hear your thoughts!

- Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment